Saturday, March 28, 2020

Creating Sacred Spaces


What is a sacred space and why would I want one?

Sacred spaces are places where we go to welcome God. They are areas that we have created or natural places that invite contemplation, prayer and worship. They are nooks and crannies where we intentionally go to spend time with our loving Creator, Jesus our Savior and friend, and the Holy Spirit.

I have had sacred places my whole life but as a child I would never have called them that. Alongside of the Churches I have attended there have always been other special locations.There was a big rock that I called the Rock of Gibraltar that was located in the landscape of my elementary school where I would go to pray when I was anxious or afraid. I had an old vanity in my childhood bedroom that was set up as an alter of sorts. Arranged in holy order was a plastic glow in the dark statue of Jesus the Good Shepherd, a cross, a plaque of the twenty third psalm and my blue GMG (Girls Missionary Guild) bible and miniature book of God's promises. From the time I could hold a fishing pole and could go fishing with my uncle  a certain slough, backwater, connected to the St. Croix river became  a location  for contemplation.

Now I have other places as well. In my home I have a sacred space within my office. On top of an antique book-shelve I  have a cross in the center signifying God's extreme love for all. A shell is filled with water as a reminder of the baptismal promise from God that I am a  child of God's for all eternity. I have pottery blessing cup to help me recall Psalm 23...My cup over flows.... I have a candle holder made of amethyst, my birthstone, that I light as a signal to center myself and be open to God's presence. I have many things I have found in nature and keep a bible and hymnal there as well.

I know that I can be with God anywhere and in any place but my sacred space is set up for intentional times of contemplation, prayer and worship. Sometimes when I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off it reminds me to stop and spend time with God. Sometimes when I don't feel like worshiping just seeing it pulls me in and I meet God.Now it is a place of solace and reminder that I am not alone.

Do you need a place of solace and a place of worship? At this time we cannot meet in our church building. Where are you worshiping?

If you want to set up a sacred space remember it can be as simple or elaborate as you want.It can be as simple as a certain chair or maybe an area in room. You can add things that help you focus and draw you into a mindset of being in the presence  of God. You can add and take away from the space. In the winter my space has a soft blanket that I wrap myself in. In the summer the blanket is not a part of the space but fresh flowers often are.

 Think about the things that will help guide your attention to God. Have fun with this and enjoy your time with God.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Does God Send Trials Into Our Life to Make Us Stronger?

I just finished  reading a devotional for April 2nd from Jesus Calling . Today's  devotion was centered on cultivating God's peace. ...